Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Markets

Marta and I could quite possibly be called “experts” on the matter of Christmas markets. Here on this side of the pond they go all out for Christmas. Just before Christmas, they have some 100 plus stalls set up in the city center of Bratislava, selling things from handmade crafts to hot wine and Christmas punch. Though it would be easy to spend your wad getting drunk and buying gifts, the real deal here is the atmosphere.

There is something magical about standing in the cold drinking something warm and wandering the lit-up old town. Marta and I enjoyed our journeys to the markets so much we decided to gain “expert status” by visiting the Christmas markets in Myjava and Vienna, too. Each had something unique to offer, so without further adieu, I will give you the 411.

Vienna, offered the most effective means of hot alcohol. Their Christmas punch was the real deal! It was just enough to put a swagger in your step. This dangerous mix of real berries, great flavor and a nice mug to go with it really did the trick on a cold day in December. Vienna was extra special on this day due to the fact that our good friends, Zuuzka and Greg partook in our adventure.

If killer food and getting fatter for Christmas is your gig, then Bratislava’s market had what you were looking for. It’s called “ciganska.” With the charming atmosphere I would put this right up there with eating a brat at Wrigley. (I’m considering if my last words were too sacrilegious to post?) Anyway ciganska is basically chicken or pork grilled to greasy perfection with onions and slapped on a bun with mustard. So good! Before my first experience at the markets, one of my students insisted that I try ciganska. When I asked him what it was, he just sported a sly kind of smile and said “ It’s like the Slovak hamburger. “ I was sold! ;)

The Christmas market in Myjava was a bit different experience for me. The food rivaled that of Bratislava. The big shock here was the rich culture. It was awesome! Let me set the stage. Everyone is standing around drinking warm slivovica. There’s a folklore band playing traditional music on a stage in the traditional dress. Now here’s the kicker… Right next to those men and women on the stage is a 300-pound pig getting butchered. That’s culture baby!

Seriously though, this was quite a demonstration of past traditions.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you SO much for sparing us all a true PICTURE of the pig being buthered, Matt! Yikes!! Wish I could have been there for the Christmas markets. It sounds like a beautiful and adventurous adventure. Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete